Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
Job Title: Driver
Job Identification 5937
Job Schedule Full time
Contract Length: 6 Month
Job Category Security
Team / Program: Programme Operations
- Level 3- The responsibilities of this post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children and young people. In the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3.
- As part of these responsibilities the post holder will support the establishment of child safeguarding systems, promote a culture of keeping children safe, and ensure that potential harm to children (by our own staff and/or as a result of how we do our work) is identified and addressed on an ongoing basis.
- The post holder should report and respond to interventions as determined by position related responsibilities identified in the Child Safeguarding Policy.
- The Driver is responsible for the safe driving of Save the Children International vehicle, staff and Assets.
- The Driver will ensure cleaning, proper maintenance of vehicles in compliance with the Driver’s handbook and safe driving standards, ensuring the vehicle is fuelled in time for trips and the proper management of the fuel supply for that vehicle.
- The driver should do so in accordance with SCI policies and procedures.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Supply Chain Manager
- Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Key Areas of Responsibilities
- Maintain the vehicle log and fuel consumption documentation.
- Keep the Vehicle Documents Folder up-to-date:
- Support the Head Driver with the Vehicle Usage report, including trip use, mileage and fuel consumption.
- Maintain a valid driver license, registration and valid permits all the time.
Control of Vehicles:
- Ensure that all vehicle journeys are authorized in advance by Line Managers.
- Ensure that all vehicle journeys are to be recorded in the log book at the start and completion of the journey.
- Ensure that the keys and vehicle documents are kept in a secure place when the vehicle is not in use.
- Ensure that s/he wears the vehicle safety belt and all passengers also wear seat belts before driving the vehicle.
On the road:
- Ensure that the line manager is immediately informed of any accidents, the Accident report is filled immediately and the accident reported to the police as soon as possible.
- Ensures safety of passengers at all times.
- Safe transport of all staff, equipment, and materials.
- Save the Children International has a no passenger policy – this relates to all non-agency personnel and is for reasons of safety, the continuance and equity of the programme.
- Save the Children International may give lifts to agency and Governmental staff on occasion for the benefit of the programme – see passenger policy for details.
- SCI reserves the right to refuse entry to a vehicle any staff member without identification documents or who cannot be identified by SCI staff.
- In the event of a medical emergency lifts may be given on prior approval of the programme manager – see passenger policy for details.
- Check the vehicle prior to its use in the morning and after use.
- Check the vehicle before departing from work.
- Check, on taking over a vehicle, that the items listed on the Vehicle Check List and the items listed in the Vehicle Tools and Materials Inventory are present and in full functioning order.
- A driver is to check for vehicle defects, damage to the vehicle, and ensure that he reports them to his line manager. After consulting a mechanic, the line manager will make the decision as to whether the vehicle should be taken off the road for repair.
- Report and supervise all maintenance and repair needs of assign vehicle.
Cleanliness & Visibility:
- The driver is responsible for ensuring that his vehicle is kept clean on the outside and inside at all times. The driver is also to keep the vehicle tidy and ensure that all rubbish is removed from the vehicle after a journey.
- Driver is to ensure SCI visibility protocols are adhered to at all times.
- Adhere to practical day-to-day safeguarding approaches during transport of SCI staff, equipment and materials.
- Ensure compliance with Transport Policy rules about transporting children safely in all programme activities.
- Ensure the Safeguarding guidelines are followed when transporting staff children, children participating in SC’s activities and child or adult beneficiaries in an emergency or development intervention.
- Follow and abide by the traffic rules, SCI regulations, driver safety manual and any other instructions given by the Line Manager.
- Maintain all vehicle’s safety equipment, as per vehicle safety kit, in liaison with the logistics officer – including first aid kit, communication equipment, tow rope and fire extinguisher.
- Work after duty hours or holidays as and when required and with prior notice from line manager.
- Perform any other relevant and appropriate requested by the Line Manager.
Skills and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin and value for money systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Skills & Experience:
Administrative & General Skills:
- A full and clean driving license
- Should have 3-5 years’ experience of professional driving.
- Prior experience as a driver in an international NGO, UN agency or private company
- Ability to multi-task and work calmly under pressure is essential for this position.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in insecure environments is critical.
- Some practical experience of user vehicle maintenance.
- A proactive and flexible approach to work
- An ability to work with minimum supervision
- A systematic approach to work
- A people orientated person who enjoys working in a team
- A keen interest in self-development
- A reliable, polite and professional attitude to ensure SCI is perceived as such.
- Working knowledge of the Save the Children Emergency Manual, Sphere, and Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Strong oral and written English language communication skills required.
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and frustrating working circumstances is required.
- Any additional skills and/or experience that could be used by Save the Children would be taken into account in the selection process
- A heavy goods driving license
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
- Safeguarding our Staff:
- The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety:
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Application Closing Date
14th February, 2024; 10:07
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online